Billing, Financial Aid, & Scholarships

Law students can find information here regarding applying for and receiving financial aid.  UB's Office of Financial Aid is responsible for the disbursement of all University at Buffalo students' financial aid.  

On this page:

Types of Aid

The University at Buffalo offers many types of financial aid assistance.  More information on Types of Aid can be found on the financial aid website.


Loans are money that can be borrowed, but must be repaid.  More information on the types of loans can be found on the Financial Aid website.


Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid.  More information on grants can be found on the Financial Aid website.

The Economically Disadvantaged First Professional Study (EDPS) Program is a partial tuition waiver program funded by New York State in conjunction with participating educational institutions. This program provides partial tuition waivers to full time Medical, Dental, Pharmacy and Law students who are pursuing graduate or first professional degrees, and who are determined to have exceptional need by the Financial Aid Office. If you meet the criteria for the grant then you may be eligible; please visit the Financial Aid website for more information.

Work Study

The Federal Work-Study program provides employment opportunities in various offices on campus and in community service agencies to students who demonstrate financial need. If you qualify for the Federal Work-Study program at the University of Buffalo you may select from a variety of jobs to meet your interests, skills and career paths. You will be paid at an hourly rate and receive paychecks every two weeks for the hours worked. Federal Work-Study will not be credited to your student account.

Study Abroad

Studying abroad?  Financial Aid can be used!

Summer Financial Aid

Students who wish to enroll in summer classes may file for additional financial aid.  You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours.  

Cost of Attendance

Full time enrollment is a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.  UB School of Law Cost of Attendance will estimate direct costs, as well as indirect costs.  Direct costs are tuition and fees.  Indirect costs including living and transportation expenses and the cost of books.  

New York State Residency

Your eligibility for New York State tuition rates is based upon your residency in New York State, and showing that you have established a New York State domicile that is your permanent and principal home.  Information on determining residency, how to apply, and documentation needed can be found through the office of Student Accounts.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is used to determine if a student is making acceptable progress toward a degree.  SAP is conducted at the end of each semester.  Failure to meet the SAP standards for all enrolled terms may result in a lost of federal aid eligibility.

Loan Deferment

Enrollment Verification Certificates should not be used for deferment purposes. Most lenders and loan servicing organizations that participate in the National Student Clearinghouse also participate in our paperless deferment process. With this process, no paper forms need to be completed by either students or schools. Students must simply call their servicer to request deferment. The servicer then posts a deferment to the student’s account after the student’s verbal order is confirmed with the National Student Clearinghouse.

Leaving UB

If you are preparing to leave UB (either by graduation or to transfer to another school) it is important to be sure you have satisfied all financial aid requirements.  Please see the Leaving UB page on the Financial Aid website.