Below you will find answers to commonly asked questions, as well as links to various pages and forms.
Do I have to file a FAFSA each year?
- Yes, you must file a FAFSA every year. Additional information on applying can be found through Financial Aid.
Do I have to accept all loan money offered to me?
- No, you can indicate the amount you want to accept for each loan; you do not have to take all loans offered.
Do I have to accept work study?
- No, you are not required to accept work study.
Can I decline work study for fall, but accept work study for the spring semester?
- You may elect to accept work study for only the spring semester, but work study is not guaranteed and may not be available in the spring semester.
When will my financial aid disburse?
Can I use my financial aid to purchase books before my aid is distributed?
- Yes! You may be eligible to use $1,000 of financial aid to purchase books. More information on determining elilgibility can be found on the UB Card page. Check your "To Do" financial aid list in your HUB Student Center to determine eligibility.
I am an international law student and my named scholarship funds are not disbursing, what can I do?
When will I receive my refund?
How much can I borrow?
- You may borrow up to your cost of attendance, if needed
I didn't borrow enough student loans to cover all expenses; can I take out more loans for the current academic year?
Can I increase my financial aid budget?
- Yes, with proper documentation; you must submit the Budget Increase Request form. You can also increase your budget in order to finance Student Medical Insurance.
Can I apply for federal student loans for the summer term?
- Yes, you can apply on the Financial Aid website, however, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours.
Can Student Medical Insurance (SMI) be waived?
- SMI can be waived if you show proof of your own insurance coverage. Please visit the SBI Insurance page.
If SMI is waived this year, do I have to apply to have it waived in future years?
- Yes, you will need to request a waiver each year in order to maintain your waiver status.
If I am receiving medical insurance through the university, am I charged in both fall and spring semesters?
- No, you are only charged medical insurance in the fall semester, but have coverage for one full year (through August 21st each policy year).